Starting Your Self-Assessment Tax Return


Tax shouldn't be taxing, HMRC once had us believe. We know, however, just how confusing the self-assessment tax returns process can be, especially when you're only having to deal with it once a year. Here at Bettertax we make the whole process as simple and hassle-free as we can.

★★★★★ has been rated 5 out of 5 based on 549 customer reviews on Freeindex. We're No.1 out of 3852 Accountants in the UK.



What do I need to do

We always need to have a quick chat with you initially, to assess your eligibility for a tax refund and we can explain how we work and what we'll need from you to help speed things up. Contacting us directly on 01280 821020 is the easiest way.

We can always call you at a time best for you. Just click on the "Start Your Tax Refund" button on the bottom of any page on our website to request a callback.

tax returns questions

Things we'll ask you

To start working with you and getting you tax back, we'll need to know your name, address, contact number, date of birth, NI number and UTR number (if you have one - don't worry if you don't, we'll arrange it for you). It helps if we can have a look at your Vantage statement too for our offshore clients. If you have an email, that'll be good to know too.

It's useful for us to know whether you're self-employed or who your employer is. At this stage, if you have a rough idea of your expenses it'll help us to identify whether you would benefit from our service and qualify for a tax rebate.


What other information will be needed

As soon as you have your P60, other paperwork and we have acknowledgement of registration from HMRC, we can book you in for an appointment.

During the appointment, we'll confirm income details along with any benefits received and pension information. We'll go through any relevant expenses and the mileage you've done. Keeping a diary of postcodes travelled to will speed up the process but we can help you piece together a mileage log of your work destinations. We'll also ask whether your employer has reimbursed or given any allowances for your expenses.


We see many other tax agents asking for you to complete online qualifying forms, sometimes almost the entire tax return. At Bettertax we know that a quick telephone conversation with you can often identify a tax claim that an online form can miss. It also offers you the opportunity to ask any questions and address any concerns you may have. Customer service and care is very important to us - if you're happy, we're happy!

If you are at all unsure about your employment status or your eligibility, get in touch - we're happy to help and advise.

Construction Tax Claims

Offshore Oil Industry Tax Claims

MOD Armed Forces Tax Claims

Healthcare Workers Tax Claims

If you work in any other profession not mentioned here and incur work related expenses, especially use of own vehicle to different work places, we can help you get a tax refund. Just get in touch!


start your self-assessment tax return

We use cookies to make your experience easier.